During this waiting time—there is not much to do but pray for week 12 to roll around. As many couples will tell you—it can be a roller coaster from the get-go. We had scares of spotting, no pregnancy symptoms, doubt, fear, and unknown change (For those that really know me, I don’t handle change well!). I remember telling one of my dear friends that I felt like God wanted me to lay my hands up and open with this baby—It was a gift—but it was God’s and not mine. With each passing week—we had much to celebrate and often would breath sighs of relief. God is so good.
Around this time, I am reading in the book of Genesis. The story of Abraham and Isaac still makes me choke up (Genesis 22). God was asking for his biggest blessing of a son to become his greatest sacrifice….I remember thinking- “Do I have that kind of faith? Could I deep down believe that my love for the Lord was more so than my husband, unborn child, and family…”
I am also at this time reading a book about 12 Extraordinary Woman of the Bible—Hannah being one of them—her story was one of my favorites b/c she too struggled with infertility—eventually her prayer was answered in her first born son, Samuel. (In fact, I started making a list of woman with the same infertility struggle—there are MANY of them—Sarah, Hannah, Rebekah, Rachel, Samson’s mother and Elizabeth-guess I’m not alone and actually found great comfort that they were recorded in God’s book!)
Hannah’s promise was then to give her son Samuel, to the temple, so that God would use him there. I remember thinking in my heart, “WOW, could I do that, could I give my child over to God in that way…..That would be the most difficult thing to do.” Only after glancing back in the Word did I find this verse from Hannah- “I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord.” – 1st Samuel 1: 27+28. Only now as I write this, am I slowly putting pieces together that God has been showing me all along……



No comments:
Post a Comment